You have no items in your cart. Want to get some nice things?Go shopping
Ageing skin is natural. After the age of 20, our bodies start losing the ability to produce collagen. This causes the skin to develop fine lines and wrinkles, experience sagging, and lose its healthy glow. But the conventional, invasive surgical methods aren’t cutting it any longer. Over the past few years, more and more health-conscious, active people are choosing minimally-invasive methods to treat signs of ageing holistically. But which is the best non-surgical option? HIFU and PDO thread lifts are among the most popular, but PDO threads are fast becoming the golden standard for age-reversal treatments.
HIFU means High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound. It’s a non-invasive cosmetic procedure that uses a small handheld device to stimulate youthful skin. This device creates ultrasound energy (vibrations that generate somewhat uncomfortable heat) to stimulate collagen and elastin in the skin. The results can be a lifting and tightening of the skin plus a slight reduction in wrinkles and fine lines. HIFU is a young technology, so there isn’t a lot of long-term data on its potential results. However, some studies have shown that HIFU can be effective in reducing the appearance of wrinkles and making your skin more elastic.
The problems with HIFU
A lot of people complain about many problems with HIFU. A big complaint of HIFU patients is pain, swelling, burns and post-fat loss. The ultrasound causes discomfort and even in some cases burns during the procedure and might leave you sore over the next week and onwards. Other side effects of HIFU include swelling, bruising, and numbness. Some patients even report a purple rash appearing in the treated area. But possibly the biggest disadvantage of HIFU is time. If you choose this cosmetic procedure, it will be some time before you see any results. Overall, you might need up to 6 – 8 sessions that can last up to 90 minutes each. Though HIFU does deliver some antiageing effects (not yet proven long-term and medical proven), these don’t last as long as other minimally-invasive treatments. It’s required to have repeat of the treatment sessions. This means that HIFU isn’t the most cost-efficient rejuvenation treatment.
Going to the root of ageing…
Why do we need age-reversal treatments in the first place? What causes the skin to look and feel aged? The skin’s ageing process happens because of a decrease in collagen production. This crucial protein gives your skin youthful elasticity, resilience, and structural support. As we age (in fact, after the age of 20), our skin gradually loses its ability to make new collagen. This means it becomes thinner and less able to repair itself. The results: wrinkles, sagging and loss of definition, changes in the contours of the face, and an overall loss of radiance. Maintaining collagen is essential for maintaining youthful skin. But are there treatments that build up your skin’s collagen production ability?
What is a PDO thread lift?
A PDO thread lift is a minimally invasive procedure that lifts and tightens sagging skin on the face, neck, and body. During the thread lift procedure (aka lunchtime facelift— it takes less than an hour), your specialist places fine filaments beneath the skin. These are polydioxanone, a medically proven, biodegradable material that your body safely absorbs. The PDO threads create a supportive scaffold that lifts and tightens the skin on the spot. Besides the instant rejuvenation effect, PDO threads work to improve your body’s natural collagen production over time. PDO thread lifts are less invasive than most cosmetic procedures, have a shorter recovery time, and target specific areas, which makes them customisable.
The benefits of PDO threads:
- Structure: Structural support for the skin and fatty tissue, which minimises sagging and redefines the contours of the face.
- Texture: Improved skin texture, tone, and blood flow for healthy, glowy skin.
- Wrinkles: Minimised lines and wrinkles: tighter and smoother skin.
- Tightening: Ideal for treating problem areas like marionette lines, frown lines, crow’s feet, forehead, nose tip, and under-eye area.
- Areas of Concern: Placed by an experienced professional, PDO threads can help dissolve fat in the target areas.
Is the PDO thread lift the new HIFU?
The PDO thread lift is the new and improved HIFU facial. Why? Because the PDO thread lift gives you many of the same benefits as a HIFU facial, plus a tailored approach and longer-lasting, more effective results.
The main differences between the HIFU and PDO thread lift treatments are:
- Time: one session of HIFU can take up to 90 minutes, while a lunchtime facelift with PDO threads usually takes under an hour.
- Contouring: PDO threads, unlike HIFU, are perfect for achieving your ideal definition in sagging, lax, or crepey areas of the face, neck, and body.
- Speed: with HIFU, you might need several treatment sessions spaced out over several months. On the other hand, PDO threads offer immediate lifting and tightening, plus improvements in skin quality, elasticity, and smoothness over time.
- Duration of results: while the results of HIFU normally last around one year, the PDO threads stay in the body for up to 18 months. The new youthful collagen can stay in your skin for up to one more year.
- Cost: because HIFU often requires repeat sessions to achieve results, it is less cost-efficient than fast and long-lasting PDO threads.
Tailored treatment: you can easily combine a PDO thread lift with other cosmetic treatments like antiwrinkle injections and collagen biostimulators for more customisable results. On the other hand, because HIFU uses ultrasound, you can’t use it in conjunction with many other rejuvenation treatments.
If you’re ready to start your rejuvenation journey with a premium, tailored PDO thread lift book a consultation at our Elucell Melbourne clinic. Our experts will help you define the best strategy to get your glow and confidence back.